Many guys have this notion that to get a smooth non-irritating shave, all you need is some water, shaving cream, and a razor.
Well, this might work for a small percentage of guys that have skin that’s made of leather, but for a lot of us out there, we end up getting mediocre shaves that give us irritation, razor burn, bumps, and other unsightly issues.
I consider myself the king of having sensitive skin. My skin will instantly give me feedback if I put something on it that it doesn’t like, or if I shave it in a matter that irritates it.
This has made me experiment with a TON of different products, shavers, and routines that I have now boiled down into “The Perfect Shave Routine”.
With this routine, you will get barber quality shaves, at your house, whenever you want. It just requires a little bit of investment.
The Ultimate Shaving Routine
1) Wash your face with warm water, than continue to wipe it all off with a product that contains Witch Hazel. Personally I use Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel.
Put a bit of it on a cotton pad, or even just use some paper towels/toilet paper, and gently wipe your face with it. Give it 20 seconds to air dry.
2) Next you want to wash your face with an exfoliate to get rid of dead skin and to smooth out your facial hair a bit. I swear by Neutrogena Razor Defense Scrub because it works amazing and you only have to use a small dab of it. It will last you a very long time.
3) It’s time to apply pre-shave oil. This is key because it will help keep your face moist and also provide a smooth glide for the razor. This helps a lot towards avoiding irritation of the skin. Just apply 2 small dabs to your palms and work it into your face for 30 seconds. No need to wash it off. I personally use Sandalwood Premium Shaving Oil.
4) Apply a shaving cream on the parts of your face you will be shaving. A thin layer works fine. I personally don’t like creams that foam up a ton. Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Shaving Cream works great for me.
5) Shave! With my electric shaver (Make sure you have one that works with both wet/dry) I like to rinse it every 30 seconds in hot water.
There you have it! Follow these steps and you will have the slickest, smoothest shaves that rivals salon quality shaves.