Let’s be honest one of the most important things you’ll own during the winter is a quality winter jacket. It can make the difference between hating the cold and easily tolerating it. But depending on what you’re looking for, it can be a bit overwhelming to find a winter coat with so many options out there.
You have to take inventory and decide what you’re looking for; do you want a jacket purely for the utility of staying warm? Or do you want a winter fashionable option that can still perform?
With this article we’ll go through a variety of winter jacket types that will cover most temperatures, styles and formalities. We’ll also give you guys a list of jacket brands that are known for producing quality coats. So keep reading to find the best winter jacket for your situation.
Table of contents
- Types of Winter Jackets / Winter Jacket Outfits
- Light Jackets
- Quality Winter Jacket Brands (That Aren’t Canada Goose)
- The North Face
- Are High End Jackets Worth it? (Canada Goose, Moose Knuckles, Moncler, etc)
- 💲 – Best Winter Jackets
- The North Face Puffer Jacket
- Percival Trench Coat
- Ellis Rosch Pedro Coat
- Entire Studios Down Jacket
- Uniqlo Down Coat
- Asket Wool Coat
- Fjallraven Parka
Types of Winter Jackets / Winter Jacket Outfits
Just to be clear, there is probably so many winter jacket types that it would be impossible to go through them all. For all intents and purposes I’ll be going over what most people wear as a jacket in 2023 and what I personally like in terms of style.
Light Jackets: light jackets can include anything from shearling lined jackets to bomber jackets to technical jackets. They’re not meant for a harsh Canadian winters day, but can be easily worn throughout winter if you live in a more climate friendly area.
Parkas: the parka is easily the best go to option if keeping warm and cozy is your #1 priority. Highly recommended for those of you living in a frozen tundra during the winter time.
Puffesr: a puffer jacket will offer you both warmth and style. It’s the first choice of streetwear and modern fashion aficionados. With a million different options out there, it’s pretty hard to go wrong with a nice puffer.
Overcoats: I’m grouping pretty much all types of formal jackets here. From duffel coats, to car coats to wool overcoats. These are a more classy and formal option. Perhaps for those that work in an office environment or want something more formal to take to a nice restaurant.
Best Winter Jacket Brands
When it comes to brands that I consider the best for buying a winter jacket from, I look at their history and what they’ve put out year after year after year. This section is for those of you looking for a ‘buy it for life’ option. A jacket you can buy once, and the quality is so high you can have it for 10+ years. These brands are the crème de la crème.
Are High End Jackets Worth It?
One of the most common questions people wonder when looking for a new winter coat is if it’s worth it to just drop a $1,000 on one of those luxury jacket brands such as Canada Goose, Moose Knuckles, Moncler, etc.
Our answer: it depends on what you’re looking for.
If you buy a high end down jacket such as Canada Goose, you ARE getting a very high quality jacket that is warm, stylish and will last you for years. But you are also paying a sizeable amount for the brand power.
If you don’t mind paying a little bit of a mark up for the brand, they are worth it. If you’re looking strictly for a jacket purely for the utility of staying warm, definitely go for something else.
💲 – Best Winter Jackets
This is my personal list of my favorite winter jackets for men. These are the coats I would be looking to buy if I was shopping for a brand new winter jacket.
- The North Face: Black 1996 Retro Nuptse Down Jacket – I like this jacket because it’s a puffer but it’s a quality North Face that’ll keep you warm.
- Percival: Trench Coat – A more formal option for when I’m going out to dinners.
- Ellis Rosch: Pedro Coat – I absolutely love this coat. More formal.
- Entire Studios: Black SOA Down Jacket – This is a more minimal puffer option that I absolutely love. It looks so warm and cozy.
- Uniqlo: Ultra Warm Hybrid Down Coat – Highly recommend this Parka if you can get it before it’s sold out.
- Asket: The Wool Coat – An amazing charcoal wool coat. I love wool and the color is super versatile.
- Fjallraven: Nuuk Parka – The perfect utility based Parka. Will keep you warm and looks fairly stylish.